Travels to the pub and back

Monday, October 27, 2003

Well, after a fairly non-blogworthy week, a pretty decent weekend. In fact, further to my "Shit! I've grown up" epiphany documented here a few weeks ago, I think I've probably just worked out what life is going to be like for the next, oh, forty years: weeks = dull, weekends = good. Can't believe it took me this long to realise.

Anyway, on Thursday we went to see The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. If you've read the comic1 and profess to have any respect for Alan Moore, don't bother going to see it. It's a pretty frustrating experience. Too much is crammed in (two extra gentlemen for a start, and do they really have to go to Mongolia?) and there's just not enough of a victorian feel to make it even slightly authentic.

It was Neil's birthday on Thursday and I drove through to Glasgow on Friday evening to go out with him, Doug and a load of his mates. All terribly good fun, but unfortunately having failed to eat anything since lunch, I got a little too drunk a little too quickly, and rather too much of the evening is a something of a blur. I did bump into a friend of mine from Fife who moved to Glasgow a year or two ago, which is about the only anecdote that I can remember clearly enough to be writing down :).

The next day I woke up about 2 pm, feeling pretty dire. A bacon roll and a wander through Kelvingrove Park sorted that out. It was a nice, clear day and I felt oddly like I was on holiday. It was probably just the fact that being removed from Edinburgh had removed all of the little responsibilities of normal life that are associated with a given place (who's going to make tea tonight? When am I supposed to be at this or that place? Did I remember to phone such-and-such?), but it was a nice change, if only for a few hours.

The Mafia plus the usual suspects went out for Devon's birthday that night. We went back to Bonsai again (which pleasingly hasn't gone out of business yet, and actually seemed reasonably busy) and then on to a ceilidh at the Caledonian Brewery. A piss-up in a brewery! Top stuff. There was a bit of an army of us, with, I think, four complete flats plus assorted Edinburgh mates and visiting foreign friends, and all in all it was a pretty good night. And I danced again. I can now almost pretend to waltz, which is a bit of a turn up for the books.

Sunday was nice and sedate; a bit of faffing around on the bass and then a decent run around the Meadows. In the evening we went round to a friend's flat for a meal with a load of the folk from the ceilidh the night before, and it was a nice way to end the weekend.

Forthcoming attractions include an account of the first Radioplay whatever the band's going to be called practise session, which promises to be a comedic masterpiece. Stay tuned.


  1. okay, okay "graphic novel" or whatever. Sorry, sorry.

No comments: