Travels to the pub and back

Monday, July 11, 2005

I bought a new toy the other day:

a truly evil 8" cook's knife to replace the bendy, butter knife-style abominations masquerading as cookware in the new flat. I was a little over-excited with the whole knife buying thing.

"Hello. I'd like to play with some knives, please," I babbled psychotically to the shop assistant, having spent the previous twenty minutes staring at the arsenal of culinary weaponry on show. He unlocked some cabinets and I eagerly picked up a variety of knives and waved them around. I think I blacked out a little with giddy enthusiasm.

"This one! This one!" I cried when I'd found one with the right combination of balance and scariness. "I want this one."

I cooked with psychopathic abandon that night, I can tell you.

Apart from the weaponry, it was a fairly pleasant and unchallenging weekend. Spent a bit of time lounging in Princes Street gardens with a book and the iPod; went for a cycle (hard work after spending two weeks in a car) around Arthur's Seat, and generally enjoyed the sun. I may even have managed to top up my 'tan' from the States. Woo yeah.

Luc and Marie were across from Luxembourg, so I caught up with them and the rest of the Mafia on Friday and Saturday nights and attempted to poach my liver in alcohol.

I'm back.

P.S: Josh has just posted a load of photos from the trip. Dave also has some on his Flickr account and some more on mine, since he ran out of bandwidth on like the third day.

No comments: