Travels to the pub and back

Monday, April 30, 2007

The other side:

I went to see Travis on Tuesday night at the Liquid Room with Mart and Alice. Ash was feeling a bit under the weather and I was loathe to leave her, but the final episode of the OC was on and I had a sneaking suspicion she'd be in good hands. My bike bag was searched at the door and the bouncer confiscated my poncy, minuscule tyre pump for the duration, presumably in case I decided to maliciously inflate someone. We filed in, bought a pint and waited for the show to start.

I'd do a long, meandering review but it isn't necessary: Travis are really, really good live. I lost interest in their albums after The Man Who, but each time I see them in person they rock my socks off. Truly astonishing. CF would do well to take notes!

* * *
Ash and I drove through to a sunny Glasgow on Saturday to take a look around the university precinct and the West End in general. The area has a rough and ready bustle about it that Edinburgh lacks: the emotionless cattle that graze the shops on Princes Street on a Saturday put me in mind of the words "brainwashed" and "consumerism" in very close proximity, and it's just plain depressing. The West End, on the other hand, has an atmosphere that might reasonably be accused of vibrancy* and even the neds lend it a bit of colour (admittedly from a limited palette of green, blue and white) like so much sociopathic bunting.

The university area has that same mixture of ornate sandstone charm and forehead-smacking Brutalism that George Square does in Edinburgh, and just like George Square it's surprisingly attractive in the sun. We wandered around a bit: past the Hunterian and Ash's putative department, along storied Ashton Lane and then took the subway into the centre of town. There's a certain worldly feeling imparted to cities with a subway (even one so minimal as the Clockwork Orange) and again, it's something Edinburgh lacks. We're civilised over on the east coast, but we're not genuinely cosmopolitan, I think.

Alternatively, I may be reading rather too much into the presence or otherwise of a single underground train line.

We had some pub food at the Ubiquitous Chip on the way back to the car and took a scenic route home so lengthy that I began to wonder if I'd accidentally strayed into England. Back on the right road eventually, I let the Saab stretch its legs and the sun set just as we hit the outskirts of Edinburgh, lighting up the countryside briefly before descending into a damp greyness. A most edifying day, if I do say so myself.

* Yes, I know: "vibrancy". Very Rough Guide of me.

No comments: