Travels to the pub and back

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Week(end) inversion:

I did nothing at the weekend. I'm glossing over a letterbox-eyed, four-hour Resident Evil 4 session (we had to break the TV in somehow, and MGS3 is just so dashed cerebral sometimes) but in effect, we wore a path from the couch to the kitchen and back for two days straight. Lofty plans of a picnic on Arthur's Seat and a visit to the Taste of Edinburgh festival came and went without a whimper. In short, a slothful, indulgent and pleasurable weekend, but nothing to write home about. Happily, the week was substitute enough.

On Tuesday Ash and I went for a post-work drink in the Blind Poet and then headed across the road to Phenecia to stuff ourselves silly with garlic-bomb houmous and tzatziki. It's been a while since we've been out for a meal together and I really enjoyed it! We had the restaurant to ourselves and the waitress gave us exactly the right amount of inattention. I attempted heroically but failed to clean my heaping plate (a Little Chef/free lollipop bit of Pavlovian conditioning if ever I saw it) and so replete with North African comfort food we took a slightly desperate stroll home in the damp evening air to ward off the threatened gastric distress. The Phenecian Gentlemen's Club (of which I was a sub-associate honourary member or something) may be gone, but it is not forgotten!

Davis came over to the flat for recording duty on Thursday night so I could finish off a couple more bass lines for our demo. We drank cheap red wine, talked Macs and fiddled with cabling and I even managed to get some bass playing in amongst it all. Almost as an afterthought I asked about and Davis showed me some basic blues soloing; I was flabbergasted by the simplicity of it and yet utterly incapable of using it to any great effect. So, not only is the 'Fynn website back up but we have a demo tape/CD/web page/whatever in the offing and come the next gig I shall gamely ruin Locomotive Blues with an abortive attempt at "improvisation". Full steam ahead!

No comments: