Travels to the pub and back

Monday, May 10, 2004

The summer boozing season is open for business

and the decent weather (neither raining nor windy) meant we could sit outside for a few beers after work on Friday and soak up the cloud. Three pints and no food later, I weaved home, had some pasta and sat stupefied in front of the box until I sobered up a little, then went to find Josh in Teviot. I had started, so I'd damn well finish. And finish I did, playing drinking games until 2 am with three no doubt uneasy students to whom I attached myself for the rest of the night.

Hungover to fuck (that's a technical term), I had to get to Glasgow the next day. We had a practise for Davis' wedding at 3 pm. Suffice it to say that my playing was...adequate that afternoon, without ever exceeding mediocre. We have a 6-hour marathon session tonight, so hopefully I'll be a little more confidence-inspiring.

Post-practise, we decamped to Pancho Villas for some food and subjected the marvellously reasonable waiting staff to an hour of raucous chat. (I've worked as a waiter in a couple of places and frankly, I'd have thrown me out.) Sated and, in my case, amusingly stained with meat fajita juice, we met up with Waxy and the Captain in a boisterous local dive. A pub-rock band was enthusiastically plugging its way through some guitar staples. Waxy fancied the bassist because of his cheeky smile and bass technique; I instead admired his tortoiseshell Fender P-bass, and his bass technique.

After that, we all just got hammered. I crawled off to bed at 2 or 3 am and slept the sleep of the very drunk.

Sunday, unsurprisingly, was a bit of a write-off.

No comments: