Travels to the pub and back

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I was sitting in the Phoenix on Sunday night,

having a drink with Kate.

"I was going to go to London to meet up with Chris and Leyla before they go back to Oz, but since I'm going out there in February I'll maybe give it a miss," I said.

"Why not go up Aberdeen and meet them there?" said Kate. "You can stay at my parents' house. In fact, I haven't been up there for ages. We can both go."

"Because-" <pause, grinding of mental gears> "Actually, I can't think of a good reason why not."

Cue trip to Aberdeen after work last night. Kate's excellent parents fed and watered us, and we met up with C&L in a local boozer. I'm really glad we went - it was well worth the trip to see them both before they leave again, and I got happily drunk and emotional.

My hangover is only now abating. A week semi-off the sauce has turned me into a laughable lightweight. We got the train back at 8.55 this morning, and it was a distinctly quiet journey.

P.S: I did the Water of Leith 10K on Sunday in 49 minutes - my fastest time thus far, which is rather pleasing - and it was a particularly nice way to get some exercise. The stretches running through Dean Village and Stockbridge are about as picturesque as Edinburgh gets, and I think I might make a Sunday run along the river a regular thing...

No comments: