Travels to the pub and back

Saturday, October 07, 2006

The holiday gathers momentum,

even if your host does not. Chris' family - mum, dad, sister and brother-in-law - have arrived, and only this morning Neil was dropped off from his brief fishin' sojourn with another Brisbanian mate. Chris and I spent an evening erecting a tent city/favela in the back yard for the migrant Joads wedding guests and each night, replete with some native culinary delight, I stumble back there and sleep soundly until awoken by the sound of the chickens, or the soft slap of bat guano hitting the tent under the palm tree.

I've had a remarkably sedate few days since our Platoon episode on Tuesday; highlights include sitting around, sitting around reading, and sitting around drinking. A couple of events distinguish themselves: I took a trip into Brisbane proper with Davis/d(e) and Jenna to look for some culture and wound up sitting around reading in the Botanical Gardens, and secondly, I've booked myself onto a PADI Open Water diving course next week. This should take four days and hopefully my respiratory system will remain bagpipe-capable for the wedding on Saturday. Another expensive arrow is added to my poor-people-need-not-apply extreme sports quiver! It's fun to be middle class.

This afternoon the stag/buck's do kicks off, and then on Sunday I'll start reading up on the dive course. Sitting around (reading/drinking) will give way to action. Stay tuned!

No comments: