Travels to the pub and back

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The terrorists have already won:

I got through the security at Edinburgh with nary a comment, and after lugging my kit to Heathrow Terminal 3, settled into the check-in queue. (As an aside, spending five hours waiting for a flight at Heathrow does feel slightly Terminal.)

"What hand luggage do you have?" asked the guy behind the desk.
"Just this bag (which I handily checked for size at Edinburgh) and a set of bagpipes."
"You'll only be able to take one of them into the cabin," he replied.
"What? The BAA website says that I can take one item plus a musical instrument." (No laughing at the back, please.)
"I'm afraid not. You'll have to check one of them in, or put one inside your suitcase."

With a great deal of sighing and muttering I crammed The Grapes of Wrath and my iPod into my pipe case and stormed impotently off to security.

"Just out of curiosity," I asked an attendant, "am I supposed to be able to bring on a piece of hand luggage as well as a musical instrument?"
"Yes," she said. "You are."

If I ever see that check-in desk guy again his Grapes will feel my Wrath via a swift kick to the knackers.

1 comment:

Keith Houston said...

I wrote this in Kuala Lumpur airport at 37 o' clock. It's amazing what sleep deprivation does for literary creativity.